In 1946, Father Anthony Elsing, Pastor pf Sacred Heart Parish, with the help of the Extension Society and a land donation, set up a Mission-Center on MacArthur Street, between Nogales and Soledad Streets.

The center included a convent for four religious Sisters, a clinic, and a hall making it the foundation of the future Holy Family Catholic Parish.

The priest from Sacred Heart Church attended to the spiritual needs of the people until 1952. The Sisters of Mercy of the Blessed Sacrament worked alongside the priests. Bishop Garriga sought to establish a more permanent arrangement in this area and asked that the Mission-Center become a parish. Oblate Father Tomas Fernandez celebrated Mass for the first time on July 27, 1952. Ground was broken in the Spring of 1954 for the new Holy Family Catholic Church, which was dedicated January 27, 1955. 

In 1958, Father Fernandez initiated the plans to build a parochial school. The school was a response to the Hispanic education inequalities in the area at that time. Bishop Garriga blessed the school at the beginning of 1958. The attendance grew until eventually there were 180 children registered under the expert supervision and tutelage of the Sisters of Mercy of the Blessed Sacrament. The parish and school continued to grow through the spiritual leadership of other Oblate pastors. This parish continues its strong history of religious education, evangelization, faith formation, and social services. 


Online Giving

Online Giving

Secure and Convenient Donate now!